Sunday, June 07, 2009

cotton sucks


Remind me to never buy cotton canvas again.

A while back I splurged and bought some linen canvas...and after I found how well the acrylics flowed on it, I never looked back. Every now and then I'll get some cotton canvases just to do quick still life's...or if there is a size not in the linen that I'm looking for. (Linen is quite a bit more expensive that cotton.)

Well, right now I'm doing one of the button paintings on the 6 by 12 cotton canvas and I'm about ready throw it out the window. The cotton sucks up the pigment and water like you wouldn't believe. I got so used to the way the linen responded that working on the cotton is extremely frustrating.

Hopefully these will come out OK. will post progress pics later.

2 comments:

Sara Winters said...

Interesting- I didn't know there was that big of a difference. I have not painted on linen... yet. Honestly, I'm afraid I will like it so much I will end up blowing all my art supply allowance on linen. I may have to go ahead and take the plunge, though.

Unknown said...

once you go linen, you never go back...