Thursday, January 27, 2011

It's the journey not the destination, right?

I had an interesting discussion yesterday with some peeps from the academy. (I sound so artsy, don't I?) It was about how there are some people whose art forms are temporary. They create them in sand, only to be washed away hours later, or people who create ice sculptures, or any type of temporary art form. I said that the people who choose these mediums (or do the mediums choose them?) must be very stable and psychologically even-keeled people to be able to put all the time effort and creativity into something that is temporary.

I mean, philosophically speaking, everything we make is temporary because a giant asteroid could come wipe everything and everyone out in a matter of seconds... or after we die (yes, we will all actually one day not be here) someone might be like "oh hey, what's all this junk? get rid of it!" and off it goes to a landfill or out in space or wherever we're putting trash in the future. But to create something that we will witness it's demise almost immediately after... I don't know if I could handle that.

I asked if my fellow academy people had pieces that they made that they put SO MUCH work into, it's hard not to think of them as "precious." (Which I know is a no-no, but don't judge me). And surprisingly, they both said "no." They said the peices they would be most heartbreaking to watch be destroyed or lost, etc are the ones that were imperfect but symbolized something to them. A prcoess they finally perfected, a time in their life, a story behind it.

Which makes sense. I mean, it's supposed to be about the journey and not the destination. It's the process, not the end product. What do you think? Do you have a specific item that you created that would break your heart if anything happened to it? Is it because of the work that went into it? or something else?

1 comment:

suzanneberry said...

great post! i had and have many pieces that i felt and feel that way about. but as each piece either is sold or gone for some reason or another, my interest in it wanes i see it isn't the piece at all. it's more what i envisioned it giving me. and i've found that the peace, joy and elation it brought is only fleeting and once it's gone it must be found again, leaving me with the realization that it's not the work at all, it's not even me. it's something much much more that i am still seeking and for the first time in my life, i'm certain that it's there. melodramatic to be sure but an honest emotion nonetheless. i love your work julie.