Monday, June 06, 2011

I Heart Suzanne Berry

I have been following Suzanne Berry's blog for what seems like forever. The first thing that caught my eye were her intensely up-close bug portraits. They are set in this bright background of white that give them an ethereal quality and the compositions combined with the title of the painting are good for a laugh. This one is titled "Touchdown." She's so clever!



She also has a series of faces... just that. Faces with expressions... no head, no hair. Just eyes and nose and mouth. It's amazing how much she can get across with such a small area.
I really enjoy the way she uses white space and color. I also wonder if she gets up close and personal with all those bugs and insects to get such amazing detail!! When you check our her blog you will also notice a wide range of people portraits including dog portraits which, of course, I have a soft spot for.

Suzanne is very talented and probably one of the most productive artists I've been following. She always has something new and interesting. I definitely look up to her as an artist and I strive to one day be as prolific and with such a solid artist style. When you see a Suzanne Berry painting... you know it's a Suzanne Berry painting.

3 comments:

Linda Popple said...

Fantastic, Julie! Suzanne is one of my favorites! :-)

Linda Popple said...

Fantastic, Julie! Suzanne is one of my favorites! :-)

Karen Martin Sampson said...

Suzanne is one of my favorites too so when she mentioned your blog I popped right over to see for myself and was NOT disappointed! I shall be a new faithful follower:-)
Hope you might skip over to see me at http://karenmartinart.blogspot.com some time!
Oh, and I have to get that Dark Tower shirt for my son!!