Sunday, June 14, 2009

Cotton Candy Sunrise

This item SOLD at the Providence Art festival to a wonderful customer! I didn't even have time to post pics or get anything ready for etsy.

I tried to challenge myself with a color scheme that is out of my normal earth tones/ jewel tones palette. And the one color I shy away from...is PINK. PINK PINK PINK! The one thing that inspired me was this photo from FixItNowSamuri who goes on amazing hikes and then takes equally amazing photos (you can view these here) . This photo has a beautiful subtle color scheme so I thought I'd give it a try.

I am happy with how it came out, but may try it a couple more times to get it more exact. The sky color is actually a complex layering of colors and when lit correctly, the yellow undertones make the subtle top lay of blue look really interesting. The hardest part was getting the shadow on the center tree to look close to believable, and the tint of the pink kept getting too red or too purple...it took a good 4 different tries to get it right!

The ground color on this is also quite interesting...in the photo it looks yellowish...but there are tones of pink in it...which is why I loved the initial photo and it's color scheme...all the colors played together.

2 comments:

Erin said...

Congrats! It was great to meet you at the art festival, and it was great to see your paintings in person there.

Unknown said...

Congrats on the sale, and good for you for reaching out of your comfort zone. Everything in your booth at the Prov Art Festival was gorgeous!