Thursday, February 04, 2010

Choo Choo! Painting in Progress

Traditionally, I'm not very productive during the months of January and February (with painting). I am trying to force myself to sit down and paint at least a little. I recently started this one. I am about to give myself a "you have one more session on this painting" deadline because I have a tendency to get too detail oriented.

These model trains belong to my grandfather on my dads side of the family. My sister and I spent a lot of time at their house in our younger years and some of my greatest christmas memories were of the tree all decked out in the colorful bulbs, lights, and the train running around the base of the tree. I never got to know my grandfather like I have my other grandparents because he died in his 50s. His wife, my grandmother, is someone extremely important to me and she has been a pivotal person in my life. I hope when i'm her age I'm just like her... witty, funny, active, caring, and selfless. I wish I could have know my Papa Beck in the same way.

These trains are actually still up in Geneseo, NY with my uncle and his family where I'm told they are on display in a whole room dedicated to model trains... which I think is the coolest thing ever. I have reference photos for 3 different cars so this will be one of three paintings... if all goes as planned.

After the first session:

After the second session:


2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
-Don said...

These are coming along wonderfully. I really like the 3d nature of the one with the lettering on the train. It's like I could reach into the canvas and take the car out to play with it...

-Don