Monday, April 26, 2010

Painting in Progress: My Circus Train Pulls Through the Night

My circus train pulls through the night, Full of lions and trapeze artists..." - Lyrics by Mike Doughty from "American Car"

The inspiration behind this painting is the book Water for Elephants. It's a beautiful book and the pocket-watch is a small but significant icon in the story about a tag-along on a depression era traveling circus train.

The watch itself was pretty hard to paint. I started this before we moved but the greys/greens/blues are all very deceiving. The edges of the painting have made quite a few journeys... first grey, then white, then green... and are now red because I decided that I wanted to do the edges similar to the spine of the book which has a red and black stripe pattern (as shown below).

I think it will be cool once the edges are done!


4 comments:

SteampunkSupply said...

This came out beautiful! The level of detail is amazing! It looks JUST LIKE the original watch!

Erin said...

Very cool. I am amazed how realistic it is!

Unknown said...

Steampunk Supply put you on facebook and now I am following you and your blog. I love your art, it is so realistic. I need to learn how to paint that way.

Unknown said...

Thanks Vickie, Steampunk Supply has the coolest stuff! I love getting feedback from new followers :)